Personal Finances

Personal Finances

Money Advice Service


The Money and Pensions Service (MaPS) is an independent organisation backed by the Department of Work and Pensions.  MaPS created the Money Advice Service as a service to provide financial advice.


You can find the Money Advice Service page here:


Alternatively, for general financial advice, you can call the Money Advice Service on 0800 138 7777.


We are not affiliated with the Money Advice Service.


Credit Cards and Loans


The Financial Conduct Authority has called on lenders to be supportive to their customers.  If you are having difficulty paying back loans or credit card bills you can speak to your lender to discuss the available options.   


Household Bills


The government has not issued any specific Covid-19 guidance for people who are finding it difficult to pay their electricity, water or other household bills.  You can contact your service providers to discuss the options that may be available to you. 




If you are struggling to pay your mortgage as a result of Covid-19, you may be able to apply for a mortgage holiday, which is essentially, a temporary delay in paying your mortgage instalments.  You should speak to your mortgage provider for further information.


This option should be available to landlords as well as private residents.  If you are a tenant and you are finding it hard to pay your rent, you may want to speak to your landlord to discuss the options that may be available.